UMM O+N is now at http://ummon.wordpress.com/

Umm has moved to Wordpress.
And those of you kind enough to list me on your blog, please update the link: http://ummon.wordpress.com/
Let's go...

Friday, November 30, 2007

WHAT I KNOW FOR SURE

that i simply have to stop playing eminem, 50cents and pussy cat dolls while driving. now O has started to sing along. it is ok when she goes 'om shanthi om...' i dont want her to walk into school singing, 'don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me...!'

that working with Arab men is infinitely more comfortable than working with south Asian men -- for women that is. Arab men genuinely treat women with respect. There are strays. But most educated ones, with a bit of upbringing, will try his best not to make a woman uncomfortable. Especially Egyptian men in my office.

Sri Lankan men are very charming.

Arab women are so frustrated, and so bloody bitchy to Asian women in particular.

That success breeds envy.

That there is racism, sure; but there is also persecution complex. we Indians like to put down all our troubles to our skin colour/nationality. It is not always the case, though. Sometimes it is because we are not doing our job right.

That every time, I am brimming with confidence about my job or skill, someone will come along and put me in my place, and put things in perspective. Still a big fish in a small pond!

That every time I am full of self doubt about how good (or not) I am in what I do, someone will send an email appreciating what I do.

That every time I feel alone and friendless, a friend will text me or call or email, telling me years and years of knowing each other, and being in different countries, has only strengthened our relationship.

That every time I am upset about the mother I am, my daughter hugs me and tells me 'I am the best mother ever' (adding later, I am the only mother she has!)

That every time I feel low about the way I look she tells me I look beautiful, or my husband makes a pass at me :)

That (borrowing from the Gita) whatever happens, it happens for the good. whatever doesn't happen, doesn't happen for the good. This is one of the greatest truths of life for me.

That Karma is no myth. It is what we live everyday.

That I am not religious, I am not a worshipper, I am not a believer, but I am not an Atheist, either.

That I AM very spiritual. That's the truth, even if people laugh when I say that. It's my very own kind of spirituality.

1 comment:

Teesu (very very Indian, very very good) said...

Very cool one! But I want a clarification on what does not happen does not happen for the good -- you mean basically everything is for the good? Also, am a bit J that every time you feel alone or friendless, you get a sign saying you are lonely no more. You are truly blessed...spiritually that is!! Always found it tough to think of you as an atheist. Hmmm...