UMM O+N is now at http://ummon.wordpress.com/

Umm has moved to Wordpress.
And those of you kind enough to list me on your blog, please update the link: http://ummon.wordpress.com/
Let's go...

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Book Tag from Shyam

How old were you when you learned to read and who taught you?
At school I guess… can’t remember the age exactly. But hooked to books ever since I can remember.

Did you own any books as a child? If so, what's the first one that you remember owning? If not, do you recall any of the first titles that you borrowed from the library?I remember buying Gandhi’s My Experiments with Truth. Because we had to and my dad gave me the money for that.

What's the first book that you bought with your own money?Oh, can’t remember. But it was after my first part time job when I was 16.

Were you a re-reader as a child? If so, which book did you re-read most often?Yes. The Chalet School and Malory Towers series. Even now I am a re-reader. That’s why I buy books that I like, instead of borrowing them.

What's the first adult book that captured your interest and how old were you when you read it?
Jane Eyre & Great Expectations. I read the abridged versions when I was about 10, and then later the originals. I love GE especially.

Are there children's books that you passed by as a child that you have learned to love as an adult? Which ones?
Amar Chitra Kathas. I now read it with my daughter, though didn’t read comics as a child myself, as my dad thought it was detrimental to my other interests!

I am tagging EVERYONE who is reading this and hasn't done it yet.

5 comments:

nitya said...

Hi. just wandered by after reading your comment on my post... so I guess I have been tagged again!
Enjoyed reading your blog. Will visit more often! Take care.

Shammi said...

You didnt get to read comics? Yikes. I think I read everything I could get my grubby paws on! :) Tintin to Asterix to Beano to Amar Chitra Kathas to Riche Rich to Archie to .... you name it, I read it! Hope you're making up for lost time - or is it too late to get into comics? :)

umm oviya said...

i know. it's quite sad. i read archies on the sly when i was in 11th/12th... and calvin & hobbes later. but tintin and asterix which R loves and collects, just don't appeal to me. ACK again, only because my knowledge of indian mythology is sad, so i'm taking the short cut and reading ACK with O.

wordjunkie said...

Hi, have followed up on your tag on my blog.
Thanks for picking up the one on quirks.

sindhu said...

I have picked up your book tag too.