UMM O+N is now at http://ummon.wordpress.com/

Umm has moved to Wordpress.
And those of you kind enough to list me on your blog, please update the link: http://ummon.wordpress.com/
Let's go...

Sunday, November 09, 2008

The Road by Cormac McCarthy




Despite our zillion other similarities (visible only to my schiz mind), Oprah and I don't always agree on her book selection. Still I picked up The Road because it had an interesting plot. The journey of a father and son in a post apocalyptic world; fighting and dodging cannibals... and their continuous banter that displays the fears and hopes of each.
As a book and plot it is an interesting read. But I found the style tiresome. Monosyllabic dialogue exchange, often repetitive, can be tough on the mind and eyes.
And worse still is the arbitrary approach to punctuation. There seems to be a general aversion to commas, making many sentences difficult to comprehend on first read.
Also the use of apostrophes. While he uses he'd (he had) it's (it is), it's just havent, dont, aint, wont (won't it be confused with wont?)... I am not sure if this is contemporary style and is acceptable. But it gnawed at me.
Maybe someone more well-versed and effortlessly fluent in editing and grammar (Shyam?) can explain this.

5 comments:

Shammi said...

Aiyo, V!!! Too much praise is as bad (almost) as too little - but thanks for the kid words :) Havent read any Cormac McCarthy, but been meaning to do so. "No Country for Old Men" was his book, wasnt it? Weird movie. I meant to borrow that from the library and see if the book made more sense than the movie... will let you know what I think!

Shammi said...

I meant "KIND words"! Not that effortless at editing now, am I? :)

umm oviya said...

hee, hee... but not bad praise at all. going by reputation and confession: "I spot editing mistakes almost automatically.
- I take pride in spelling/pronouncing words right in whatever language I learn."

Shammi said...

I knew I shouldnt have done that Sunday Scribble on "bragging" :( And dont you know better than to take people's self-praise at face value? :)

Teesu (very very Indian, very very good) said...

These things (aint, wont and so on) BUG me and I am not even in yours and Shyam's league!! Also, I dislike the fact that they are allowed to be published. Not acceptable I sayyyyy...